Tuesday 18 March 2014

Salad... I love it!

I have never been a real salad person and have never understood how anyone can consider a salad as a meal. In my family, we had it at the end of a meal as a prelude to dessert. I also do not really like dressings as I have always found them too oily or too creamy. So, when I eat salad I eat the salad on its own and felt like a rabbit.. Then I had this salad and it was AMAZING. All I can say is, "Tenina, you have done it again.." 

This isn't a normal salad made with lettuce leaves. No, this is salad extraordinaire! This has all of the ingredients of comfort food.... Sausage (chorizo), artichoke and potato salad.  When ever we went back to the USA for summer holidays, we use to get fresh artichoke's from the local farm, steam them and then dip the leaves in lemon butter. YUM!!! There was always a fight over the artichoke hearts and for a long time, I was too scared to eat the hearts as my sisters told me that if you ate any of the hairs, you could die... It took until I was 12 to realise that it wasn't necessarily true, they just wanted more. 

So, back to this fantastic salad. This is from Tenina's KIS cookbook - we had it last night and my husband was a bit suspect about just having a salad for dinner. He gave it 5 out of 5 so it really must be a winner and went back for seconds. This makes enough for 4 generous servings..

Ingredients:
2 chorizo sausage, sliced thinly (I couldn't find chorizo so I used another strong sausage)
Juice 1 lemon
400g red skinned potatoes, diced
1 litre of water for steaming
320g jar artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced 
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 punnet grape tomatoes, halved
Generous handful of Italian Parsley Leaves, torn
Generous handful of mint leaves, torn
1/2 quality honey mustard dressing (also from KIS cookbook)

Do 

  1. Place chorizo into frypan that has been heated to medium heat and cook with lid on, tossing occasionally until fat is rendered and chorizo is well coloured. Deglaze pan with lemon juice and allow to cook in pan whilst you prepare the remainder of the dish.
  2. Prepare potatoes and place them into a steamer dish
  3. Place water into TM bowl and steam the potatoes for 35 min/Varoma/speed 3. Test they are all cooked and add 10 minutes cooing time if required. (Mine where ready in 30 min)
  4. Remove potatoes and place into large mixing bowl
  5. Add all other salad ingredients, including the warm chorizo and juice
  6. Pour dressing over salad, toss and just dive in!


No comments:

Post a Comment