Monday 3 March 2014

Super Quick Chocolate Cake

I am sure you have gathered that I love "Cooking with Tenina" and her recipes but every once and a while, I have to take a break and try something new. My husband loves to have something sweet for work when he gets his snack attack so I try to cook him something new every week. I was looking for something easy to make and I stumbled across this recipe in Pintrest. I love this site and get lots of inspiration from it. Anyway, back to the chocolate cake. This chocolate cake is just so good. I found it on a blog and it was called the 5 minute cake if you want the non Thermomix version. In the thermomix, it took all of 30 seconds and boy was it good. My husband loved it and keeps requesting that I make it again.



iNGREDIENTS:

1 large egg - 40g min
100g  granulated or raw sugar
200 g plain Greek yogurt  or sour cream 
65g  unflavoured oil - I used Rice Bran Oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
110g brewed coffee, room temperature or warm
45g unsweetened natural cocoa powder
120g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 180°c.  Line a square baking pan with baking paper, spray with cooking or grease set aside.
In the TM Bowl add egg, sugar, yogurt, oil, vanilla, and mix 10 sec on speed 5. Add coffee and cocoa powder to TM Bowl and mix 5 - 10 sec/speed 5. Ensure there are no cocoa powder lumps.
Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt to TM Bowl and mix 5 sec speed 5 until batter has just combined. 
Note about coffee: The coffee does not make the cake taste like a coffee-flavored cake. Rather, it brings out and enhances the flavor of the cocoa powder and adds depth of flavor; I highly recommend coffee but use water if you must. The coffee can be any temperature other than piping hot; you don’t want to scramble the egg.
Pour batter, which is a loose and fairly runny batter, into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until top has set and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan completely, at least 30 minutes, before frosting the cake, or before slicing and serving. Unfrosted cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or store frosted cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I frosted the cake, sliced it up and put it in the freezer....
You can use what ever frosting you want. The website recommends Chocolate Ganache but I whipped up some cream with cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla paste.
Enjoy it with a cup of tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment